Tag Archives: Filial Support Laws; Long Term Care Planning

I have children here and in Pennsylvania and are trying to decide where to retire. I heard something about filial responsibility laws and want to know if they exist in South Carolina.

South Carolina does not have a filial responsibility law or a law that makes an adult child responsible to provide support for an indigent or impoverished parent seeking support from the government, a nursing home or to help pay for medical bills.  However, one-half of the other states do have such laws.  (An updated list...
Read more