Tag Archives: Physician Letter on Incompetency

My father named my mother, then me as his attorney-in-facts in a financial power of attorney. Both my parents are now in care facilities and not competent. Am I automatically in charge or does something more need to be done?

That depends on the terms set forth in the document itself, but even if no stated triggers are mentioned before you can serve as alternate agent, like a doctor’s letter, I suggest you obtain a letter from her physician that your mother is unable to handle her own financial affairs and those of another.  Then...
Read more